What is Shiatsu
Shiatsu means ('finger-pressure') and is a gentle form of oriental massage originating in Japan. It is the Japanese way of Acupuncture without needles. Like the ancient Chinese art of Acupuncture, Shiatsu works on the flow of Chi, Ki or life energy that flows through the body in specific channels or meridians. However, rather than inserting needles into the body, Shiatsu uses gentle thumb pressure, palming, stretches and rotation of the joints to stimulate blood flow and movement of Ki (energy)... ideal if you don't like needles!
According to Western medicine, Shiatsu works by stimulating the parasympathetic nervous system to calm and relax the body.
When we feel well and in good health our Chi, Ki or life force energy flows smoothly along energy channels or pathways known as meridians. But when the body is weakened by lifestyle, emotional stress or injury, our Ki no longer flows smoothly causing physical discomfort ranging from mild to severe pain, as well as emotional or mental imbalance.
Shiatsu aims to treat the root of any health problem by balancing the flow of energy through the body. It can be safely used during pregnancy and childbirth as it is deeply relaxing.
What does Shiatsu treat:-
- Stress, anxiety and panic attacks by soothing the body and reducing tension and pain
- Emotional issues: supports clients working through grief, low self-esteem, depression, no control in your life, dis-empowerment, abuse, giving your power away to others.
- Digestion issues: IBS, eating disorders, constipation.
- Muscle pain, including low back and joint pain: Helps facilitate blood flow and circulation, aiding in healing injured muscles.
- Chronic pain, including fibromyalgia: Relieves tension and stress, improves sleep and reduces muscle and joint pain.
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD): Decreases cortisol and increases serotonin and dopamine, which can calm some of the condition's symptoms.
- Supports hormone balance: Elevates mood, increases blood flow and range of motion, helping relax and prep mothers-to-be for childbirth.
- Fertility issues: Improve chances of conceiving a baby
- Sleep issues, including fatigue and insomnia: Promotes relaxation and reduces stress.